- An excerpt from the 1932 Centennial Yearbook of The NY Institute for the Education of the BlindA SCHOOL OR A CHARITY?-1896
That The New York Institution for the Blind had the character of an
institution of learning had been claimed by its sponsors through many years,
progressively so since the 1870's with gradual curtailing of the efforts
spent in the manufacturing department and the emphasis put increasingly on
scholastic attainments of its pupils. The last vestige of this department
was eradicated when in 1916 the mattress repair shop was closed. With
something of consternation the Board of Managers received word in 1896 that
the State Board of Charities had assumed control of the Institution. Legal
action was taken in resistance to this control and the matter was thoroughly
tested in the courts.
In this contention the New York Institution was engaged not only for
itself alone, so it was felt, but for the other schools of the country whose
status as educational or eleemosynary in the public view was quite as much
at stake. Indignant protest against classifying pupils of a school for the
blind as paupers was made and in the lower courts the contest against
supervision by the charities department was won; Mr. William Bell Wait had
devoted himself and with vigor to the fight and was filled with satisfaction over
this outcome; however, the highest court in 1897 reversed the decisions secured
and held that the school, though educational in character, is also "charitable,"
inasmuch as its expenses are not paid by the pupils or their parents.
Far-reaching in its effects, this astonishing decision has had
repercussions in many states, invariably resulting in legislative action
removing the control of such schools as this from the Boards of State Charities
and making them subject to the State Departments of Education. In our own
case the strictly educational character of the Institute has now been certified
by legislative enactment, the State Department of Social Welfare's function
being limited to inspection of the provisions for the physical care of the
pupils.
In pursuance of the policy of affirming this educational status the
Board of Managers in 1912 petitioned the Board of Regents of the University
of the State of New York for a change of name. The request was granted and
thus was acquired the title "The New York Institute for the Education of the
Blind". Some years before, the chief executive who had always been known as
Superintendent was at his own motion thereafter referred to as Principal, a
title more fitting the office of head of a school.
For additional information contact: John Hernandez, Media Coordinator-NYISE last revised Oct 7, 1996 Copyright © 1996 http://www.nyise.org/text/charity2.htm |